If you enjoy baking, it’s time to treat your pup!
My dog loves sweets! If I put a steak and something sweet in front of him he will quickly go for sweet. Seriously, I can be eating meat and he will ignore me and continue sleeping (most of the time). But don’t let me eat a cookie or chocolate, he will rush right to where I am and look at me with puppy eyes.
This is where my inspiration for these amazing homemade dog treats came from. Along with the fact that I purchased the cutest dog treat jar from AVON and wanted something homemade to put in it. Isn’t it cute?
There aren’t many sweet options for dogs at the store so I decided I would create my own out of things I had and things he loves. I researched and made sure all my ingredients are dog friendly. Toro (that’s his name) loves apples and peanut butter so I knew these would go into the recipe. I used the oats as my flour substitute and the banana as my egg substitute. Plus this is great if you have very ripe bananas, don’t throw them out use them for treats and they will add the sweetness factor.
I didn’t want to go to the store so I used things in my house. I had steel cut oats instead of regular oats so I gave them a try. I took about 1-2 cups depending on how hard you want your treats to be. I put them in my small coffee grinder and turned them into a powder. You can use a regular blender for this. I literally had one sad looking banana left but the mushier the better! Then, I decided on the apples and the peanut butter which I always have in my home and Toro loves.
I wasn’t sure if these ingredients would work or even stick together but they did! I mixed everything in a bowl with a rubber whisk and then placed it on a cookie sheet, threw it in the oven and cut it into squares. Eventually, I will buy the cute bone-shaped cookie cutter.
These little squares were perfect for my new dog treat jar. Especially, since the jar is air tight and I left my treats a bit more on the moist side. Don’t forget to taste them! They are quite delicious and I may have to tweak this recipe to make breakfast squares for me!
APPLE, BANANA, OATS & PEANUT BUTTER DOG TREATS
What you need:
- Medium bowl
- Rubber whisk
- Rubber spatula
- Baking sheet
- Baking parchment or foil
- Storage container or dog treat jar
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 apple
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- ½ – 1 cup of cut steel or 4-8oz regular oats
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Turn your oats into a powder by using a blender or any other device you have to do so. I would start with ½ cup and then do a second if needed.
- Chop or puree the apple. I did half chopped and half pureed for the texture.
- In a bowl, mash your apple. Add the chopped/pureed apple, peanut butter and start with 1 cup of the powdered oats. Mix all ingredients together. If you feel that your mixture is too runny, add more powdered oats until you get the consistency you desire.
- Because I chose to do squares I left my mixture a bit moist. I dumped all my mixture into a small baking sheet lined with foil and shaped into a rectangle form.
- Place your cookie sheet in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. If you require a harder treat leave longer.
- Remove for oven and cut into squares, mine were about 1inx1in.
- Allow them to cool and taste! Then, place into your cute little dog treat jar.
These will be fine for 3-5 days in the jar on your counter. If you want them to last a week or more, refrigerate.